An Tir Chirurgeon's Guild Message Board Forum Index An Tir Chirurgeon's Guild Message Board
The online community of the An Tir Chirurgeonate.

FAQFAQ       RegisterRegister  
  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages     Log inLog in  

What's in your Kit?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An Tir Chirurgeon's Guild Message Board Forum Index -> Chirurgeons in Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dillen D'Agen
Apprentice Chirurgeon
Apprentice Chirurgeon

SCA Branch: Shire of Hartwood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 16:04    Post subject: What's in your Kit? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm just starting to build my kit, and I was wondering what others tend to carry in theirs, other than the standard mask, wipes, gloves, gauze, wraps, and bandaids. Anything a little out of the ordinary that people have found useful? Question

~Dillen D'Agen of Hartwood
Krystene of Blatha An Oir
Journeyman Chirurgeon
Journeyman Chirurgeon

SCA Branch: Blatha an Oir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small beanie bear and duct tape that would not necesarily be on the list for regular items in a kit.
Krystene of Blatha An Oir
Brendan
Master Chirurgeon
Master Chirurgeon

SCA Branch: Shire of Tymberhavene, Principality of the Summits

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chirurgeon.org/Kit_Contents.html has a really good write up, though the kit listed (as Friar Galen states) is an advanced kit.

http://www.firstaidsuppliesonline.com/nav.pl?cat=NavFirstAidKit&prod=5804150
would be a good starter kit in my book, though I like higher quantities of most things, that comes with the territory of doing this for 11 years, and of working major events like An Tir - West War.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gosfrei Kempe
Journeyman Chirurgeon
Journeyman Chirurgeon

SCA Branch: Shire of Sigelhundas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duct tape;
Nail clippers;
breath mints (just in case there was a garlic and onion dish served immediately before the call for a chirurgeon!);
the Chirugeon's handbok AND the Marshal's handbook;
An Tir populace badge (now sadly out of date, and our colour printer won't) and a paper Chi badge (until I can get to the fabric store).

And I've never had to use ANY of it. Sad

Geoffrey Kempe
*We also serve who stand around like vultures and wait*
Kaitlin
Journeyman Chirurgeon
Journeyman Chirurgeon

SCA Branch: Aquaterra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have found useful although only used in my camp was burn gel. It was helpful for sunburns as well as minor fire burns.
Conal
Master Chirurgeon
Master Chirurgeon

SCA Branch: Shire of Drygestan, Kingdom of the Outlands

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:24    Post subject: Re: What's in your Kit? Reply with quote

Dillen D'Agen wrote:
I'm just starting to build my kit, and I was wondering what others tend to carry in theirs, other than the standard mask, wipes, gloves, gauze, wraps, and bandaids. Anything a little out of the ordinary that people have found useful? Question

In the resources section on the web page there is an section for Handbooks and Articles (http://www.chirurgeon.wastekeep.org/articles.php). In there is an excellent article by Magister Galen about Chirurgeon's Kits. Additionally, one of the most important things you can put in your kit - The Chirurgeon's Manual, can be downloaded there!

Also, in one of the Chirurgeon's Burden newsletters (http://www.chirurgeon.wastekeep.org/burden.php) (also in the Resources Section) Robert Trinitie wrote a good article about Chirurgeon's Kits.

"The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth, or a man or woman left to say, I will redress that wrong, or spend my life in the attempt."
Charles S. Kingsley, Life (vol. II, ch. XXVIII)

http://www.cafepress.com/conalscorner - Because it's not just something we do on the weekend.
Mir
Kingdom Chirurgeon
Kingdom Chirurgeon

SCA Branch: Shire of Wyewood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 19:13    Post subject: hm... Reply with quote

It's funny, but I have 3 kits.

I have a little pouch with a CPR barrier *with valve*, and I've stuck some wipes, some bandaids, a second pair of gloves and a couple of 2x2 gauze pads in there too. I've been known to walk up to the autocrat and inform them they're not allowed to need more first aid supplies than this - but only when I figure they won't realize there's a cpr tool in it...

I have another kit for hauling around in evening - I'm at bardic or a camp socializing and want enough for the trip over tentpeg or splinter or cooking injury, etc. without sending a runner for the big thing. I have a red satchel with chi badge, and it has a red strap that cues chirurgeon baldric. It holds more gauze, variety of bandaids, some instruments (tweezers, penlight, teeny (4"!) bandage scissors and trauma shears... It also has 2 triangular bandages folded as cravats (enough to sling and bind) and some tape and burn gel and such... small bottle of spray benadryl (BIG fan!) and small bottle of strong sunblock)

The big one referred to above is the stuff I want closer than the nearest ambulance. Some's my off-baldric stuff, some's bigger stashes of the same supplies, some's cool bits - epi trainer to let people practice dry run w/ epi, little packets of antibiotic, stuff that takes off bandage adhesive, latex free versions of stuff, BP cuff and stethoscope... the big one is for leaving at chi point. it's actually a double decker wheeled toolkit; the bottom also holds radios, banner, spare baldric, spare batteries, a mask, and whatever project I'm working on plus snacks. Part of my plot to reassure is making it abundantly clear that I really *do* have better things to do!

grin
Mir
Fj?rleif
Journeyman Chirurgeon
Journeyman Chirurgeon

SCA Branch: Aquaterra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epi Trainer? Hey, next time I see you, Mir, can I have a go at that? Epi pens are by prescription only, is that right?

In my kit I have cartoon character bandaids for the kids and duct tape bandaides for the fighters. (If the fighters are being particularly obnoxious I give them a Hello Kitty bandaide and tell them it's the only kind I have available... Twisted Evil ) I have a separate kit that I keep in my camp with OTC meds in a separate box. If people in my camp want to self-medicate I can just hand them the box. In the same kit I also have index cards that housemembers have filled out listing meds that would react REALLY badly with other medications. This is so that if something happens to them and they are unable to communicate, I can hand that card to the Emergency Response guys instead of trying to remember the list o'meds.
Mir
Kingdom Chirurgeon
Kingdom Chirurgeon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, epi are prescription only. My trainer isn't real, but it cocks and acts like a real one. We can only do what part of the response to anaphylaxis is first aid...(depending on the first aid training of each of our certifying agencies, of course!) in my case, ARC ER training means I can "assist" with the injection - prime it and hold it for them. *They* have to do the injecting, so it's nice to have them able to practice and for us to be familiar with the pens.

Same thing, incidentally, w/ inhalers. Shake and hand to them, in my case. The variance is why we have to pay such attention to what each of us as individuals may and may not do.

is
Mir
Dillen D'Agen
Apprentice Chirurgeon
Apprentice Chirurgeon

SCA Branch: Shire of Hartwood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 22:22    Post subject: Thanks for the Replies Everyone Reply with quote

Thank you so much everyone for the ideas and multiple responses. They have really helped me plan(and organize) what I need. Its also good to know that there are so many ethused chirurgeons out there. ^^ Makes the board feel welcome.

PS - I loved the Hello Kitty bandaids for the heavy's Laughing Perfect.
Gosfrei Kempe
Journeyman Chirurgeon
Journeyman Chirurgeon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found a very cool knee-board for notes from the folks who make SAM splints. See http://www.sammedical.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SamSite.woa/wa/Products/OnSceneGuide for more information. Don't know that Avacal Chirurgeons need them <sigh> but for very busy events, they might come in handy, especially the black version (much more period Razz )

What I did buy a couple of months ago is an aluminium clipboard with a hinged forms holder. It holds lots inside, and gives a solid surface to write on.

Now all I need is some sort of period case to carry it. Hmmm... a red leather baldric with a 12X9" case attached. Or one of those one-shoulder backpacks for the first aid kit? Cover the strap with red fabric, put badges front and back; high visibiity; but you'd have to remove the "baldric" for reasonable access to the kit.

<Toddles>

Cheers,
Geoffrey Kempe
Okay, I'll say it first and save Mir and Rowan the trouble... Dancing first aid kits: Ewww!!!!!
Mir
Kingdom Chirurgeon
Kingdom Chirurgeon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:06    Post subject: I know, I should be in bed... Reply with quote

I *like* the onscene thing for higher stuff... at events we can always draft one of the onlookers...

and do document on whatever you have - with consent signature. I'd rather have a napkin/glove/whatever in a file than a claim of no consent I can't refute.

I have a satchel with a wide red strap as my "wander around on duty" kit. It has some short forms and a little notebook in it. I also have an older satchel I made for the clipboard box (mine's plastic) modeled partly on the clipboard and partly on military map cases - between the side wall and the flap put a quarter circle piece sewn so the piece naturally folds to the inside. It greatly cuts down on rain problems!

I've always regretted it if I didn't make a pouch of stiff enough leather. It sags somewhere you end up really irritated about.

is
Mir
Rowan
Master Chirurgeon
Master Chirurgeon

SCA Branch: Blatha an Oir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoffrey Kempe wrote:
I just found a very cool knee-board for notes from the folks who make SAM splints. See http://www.sammedical.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SamSite.woa/wa/Products/OnSceneGuide for more information. Don't know that Avacal Chirurgeons need them <sigh> but for very busy events, they might come in handy, especially the black version (much more period Razz )

What I did buy a couple of months ago is an aluminium clipboard with a hinged forms holder. It holds lots inside, and gives a solid surface to write on.

Now all I need is some sort of period case to carry it. Hmmm... a red leather baldric with a 12X9" case attached. Or one of those one-shoulder backpacks for the first aid kit? Cover the strap with red fabric, put badges front and back; high visibiity; but you'd have to remove the "baldric" for reasonable access to the kit.

<Toddles>

Cheers,
Geoffrey Kempe
Okay, I'll say it first and save Mir and Rowan the trouble... Dancing first aid kits: Ewww!!!!!

Oh, you just *had* to give the URL for that, didn't you. <sigh> Now I want one. Don't know if I 'need' the knee board, but I really do want the reusable guide.

And I'm considering getting one of these [the black one] for a 'walk around' bag. Yeah, I know I could just make something, but I'm getting lazy in my dotage and I'm thinking that the Chi patch should just fit.

Laughing

Rowan

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MSS&Product_Code=154177&Category_Code=23[/u]
Mir
Kingdom Chirurgeon
Kingdom Chirurgeon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 13:21    Post subject: ...?! Reply with quote

dotage?? Surprised dotage!! Shocked

sheesh Rolling Eyes

Mir Twisted Evil

...though the link she posted won't work so clearly *one* of us is...
Gosfrei Kempe
Journeyman Chirurgeon
Journeyman Chirurgeon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, the link works fine for me, Mir.

Twisted Evil

Geoffrey Kempe

Last edited by Gosfrei Kempe on Thu Jan 11, 2007 21:49; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An Tir Chirurgeon's Guild Message Board Forum Index -> Chirurgeons in Training All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: