Province of Alberta
Good Samaritan Laws
Emergency Medical Aid Act, R.S.A. 2000, c. E-7
- Provides immunity for rescuers.
EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID ACT
HER MAJESTY, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, enacts as follows:
- In this Act,
- "physician" means a person who is registered as a medical practitioner under the Medical Profession Act;
- "registered health discipline member" means a person who is registered under the Health Disciplines Act or a regulated member under Schedule 1, 10, 13, 18 or 25 to the Health Professions Act;
- "registered nurse" means a person who is a registered nurse under the Nursing Profession Act.
- If, in respect of a person who is ill, injured or unconscious as the result of an accident or other emergency,
- physician, registered health discipline member, or registered nurse voluntarily and without expectation of compensation or reward renders emergency medical services or first aid assistance and the services or assistance are not rendered at a hospital or other place having adequate medical facilities and equipment, or
- a person other than a person mentioned in clause (a) voluntarily renders emergency first aid assistance and that assistance is rendered at the immediate scene of the accident or emergency, the physician, registered health discipline member, registered nurse or other person is not liable for damages for injuries to or the death of that person alleged to have been caused by an act or omission on his or her part in rendering the medical services or first aid assistance, unless it is established that the injuries or death were caused by gross negligence on his or her part.
RSA 2000 cE-7 s1;RSA 2000 cH-7 s155
Protection from action
SA 1980 cE-9 s2;RSA 1980 cH-5.1 s34;1984 c53 s27
The information contained in this Site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts involved. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, and the inherent hazards of electronic communication, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in information contained in this Site. Accordingly, The information on this Site is provided with the understanding that the authors and publishers are not herein engaged in rendering legal advice or services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional legal advisers.
While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information contained in this Site has been obtained from reliable sources, the authors and publishers are not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. All information in this Site is provided "as is", with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind. In no event will the authors and publishers be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken in reliance on the information in this Site or for any consequential, special or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.