Chirurgeons are both volunteer first aiders and warranted at-large
officers of the SCA. A Chirurgeon is fully warranted and sanctioned
to provide volunteer first aid at SCA events and serve in
Duties and Responsibilities of Chirurgeons
- You must work a minimum of one event per year. Proof of serving at an event can only be established by reporting in writing to your Kingdom Chirurgeon.
- You must report in writing to your Kingdom Chirurgeon at least once a year, or as required by the Chirurgeon's Handbook or by your Kingdom Chirurgeon.
- All service in the Chirurgeonate is on a volunteer basis. No one can place you on duty as a first-aid provider for any portion of an event if you are unwilling to work as a first aider at that time.
- The Chirurgeon may display the Chirurgeon badge on a baldric or tabard with a white border.
- If you are available, willing, and designated to give first aid at an event, you must provide that first aid to any and all who request it.
- When you are available and willing to provide first aid at an SCA event, you may be identified by wearing a baldric, tabard, or favor charged with the badge of the Chirurgeonate. A Chirurgeon who is not on-duty and does not want to be approached to provide care should not wear the badge of the Chirurgeonate.
- You must possess or have access to a first aid kit while on duty.
- You will only provide first aid as defined and/or authorized in this handbook while performing as a Chirurgeon.
- If you are Chirurgeon-in-Charge for an event you must fulfill the additional duties and responsibilities of a Chirurgeon-in-Charge as described in Sections III.11 through III.13 of the Chirurgeon's handbook.
- You may, at the discretion of your Kingdom Chirurgeon, observe and evaluate the performance of Chirurgeons-in-Training at SCA events. The items for evaluation are listed in Section II.6 of the Chirurgeon's Handbook. In addition, you should endeavor to train apprentices in those subjects which are listed in Sections II.4 and II.6 of the Chirurgeon's Handbook. After observing an Chirurgeon-in-Training at an event, you must report the Chirurgeon-in-Training's performance to the Chirurgeon-in-Training's Kingdom Chirurgeon (see Forms Page.)
Requirements to Maintain Active Status as a Chirurgeon
In order to stay on the roster of warranted Chirurgeons, you need to maintain your SCA membership, keep your CPR and first-aid certifications or medical credentials current, work at least one event a year, and report in writing to your Kingdom Chirurgeon at least annually. Your Kingdom Chirurgeon may require reports more frequently.
Re-warranting Inactive Chirurgeons
During the time that your warrant is valid, if your membership and/or certifications expire, you can not provide any first aid as an active SCA Chirurgeon until you have renewed your membership and certificates. So long as your warrant is still valid, you may return to active status as a Chirurgeon as soon your paperwork is renewed. Whenever your warrant itself expires, you must submit proof of valid SCA membership and certifications to the Kingdom Chirurgeon in order to receive a new warrant.
Suspension and Removal of a Chirurgeon
Any suspension or removal from office must follow the guidelines outlined in Corpora. A Chirurgeon may be suspended or removed from office for (but not limited to) the following reasons:
- Violation of reasonable first-aid practices judged against the medical or first-aid qualifications of the Chirurgeon.
- Inability or refusal to cooperate with other Chirurgeons, with Marshals, or with other SCA officers or members ("attitude problems.")
- Failure to fulfill the duties and procedures outlined in the Chirurgeon's Handbook.
- Violation of privacy.
- Treatment without proper consent.